The influence of diabetes mellitus on periodontal tissues: a histological study

Vol. 53 No. 3 Suppl., 2012
This supplement was not sponsored by Outside Organizations.


Adriana Monea, T. Mezei, Monica Monea

Objective: The aim of this study was to investigate histological changes that occur in the periodontium of subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitus without signs of periodontal disease and to establish the influence of this systemic condition upon periodontal structures. Materials and Methods: Gingival tissue samples were obtained from 12 adult patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and 10 healthy adults, as control group. The specimens were examined using standard dyes as Hematoxylin and Eosin and PAS-Alcian stain, by a microscope with different magnifications. Results: Our results showed that periodontal disease in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus is characterized by significant inflammation, affecting both epithelial and connective tissues, with degeneration of dermal papilla, increase in number of inflammatory cells, destruction of reticular fibers and accumulation of dense collagen fibers (fibrosis). Conclusions: Within the limits of this study, diabetic subjects presented distortion in periodontal attachment, with changes in both epithelial and connective tissues, when compared to the healthy controls, suggesting that diabetes mellitus has an independent effect on periodontal tissue. This effect is observed in both groups, so that we considered it to be independent of the periodontal condition.

Corresponding author: Adriana Monea, Assistant Professor, DDS, PhD; e-mail:

Download PDF


S. Turdean, Simona Gurzu, M. Turcu, S. Voidazan, Anca Sin

Aim: The present study aimed to investigate the status of primary liver tumors diagnosed in the Emergency Hospital of Mures County, Romania. Materials and Methods: We performed a retrospective study based on data collected from histopathological bulletins stored in the archives of the Pathology Laboratories of Mures County. We selected those patients' data that were diagnosed with liver tumors during January 2004-August 2011. The acquired data were collected and processed statistically using the GraphPad InStat Demo 3 statistical software. Results: We identified 748 liver tumors out of which 264 were primary liver tumors (35.29%), whereof 108 were malignant primary liver tumors and 156 benign liver tumors. The male:female ratio in case of malignant tumors was 1.7:1 and for benign tumors it was 1:2.62. In case of malignant tumors, the mean age of male patients was 63.98+/-11.67 as for female patients it was 60.14+/-11.65 years. In case of benign tumors, the mean age of male patients was 59.29+/-9.58 as for female patients it was 55.55+/-12.86. 81.48% of the malignant tumors were hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), followed by cholangiocarcinoma (14.81%). 40% of HCC presented associated cirrhosis, in the other 60% signs of chronic alcoholism being observed. Conclusions: Hepatocellular carcinoma remains the first on the list of malignant primary liver tumors in Romanian patients, probably due to a high rate of alcohol consumption.

Corresponding author: Simona Gurzu, Senior Lecturer, MD, PhD; e-mail:

Download PDF
Download cover
Download contents

Journal archive